Movies, Aamir, life: Kiran speaks her mind

This is the first time I am speaking on these things,” Kiran conceded with a laugh as this interview drew to a close, and Aamir interjected with a Kiran and Aamir (TOI Photo) More Pics “So, you have a scoop!”

Indeed, such has been the tenacity of the silence that Kiran Rao has maintained over the years that her speaking on simple things – what she is all about and what the equation between her and Aamir is like – is indeed a rarity.

“It has been a conscious call. I’ve always felt that until I have something to say as an individually creative person, who’s not just someone’s partner or aunt or mother or sister, it’s pretty pointless having a point of view. Everybody has something to say, don’t they? I was very clear that until I’ve come into my own as a creative person, I wouldn’t want to impose my worldviews on the world, not when there’s enough of it jamming the airwaves already!”

Kiran is now venturing into the territory of independent filmmaking with her own production house – which however will be part of the overall banner of AKP, she emphasises – and will also be directing the first film she is going to produce, Dhobi Ghaat , a low budget film with a story based in present-day Mumbai. In an industry that sees the family and the overarching big banner as synonymous, the tendency to take an independent track is not a common one.

0 comments: